ONGOING FUNDED NC LOW PROJECTS
1. REGIONAL COORDINATORS
a. Contract a series of regional, part-time coordinators for community outreach and aid in program implementation.
2. PRODUCE A CASE STUDY OF THE NATURAL AND CULTURAL RESOURCES WITHIN THE ALBEMARLE PENINSULA AND THE SCUPPERNONG REGION OF THE NC LOW INNER BANKS
a. Define the landscape, its ecosystems, and the natural and cultural history of the Scuppernong region within the Albemarle Peninsula.
b. Establish a regional stakeholder group and organize local workshops.
c. Outline possible and sustainable natural and cultural, resource-based ecotourism opportunities within the Scuppernong region.
d. Explore new and alternative initiatives for natural and cultural ecotourism.
e. Implement an educational outreach program concerning the science of coastal dynamics and change.
f. Develop a program for the implementation of an integrated system of natural and cultural resource trails with strong educational component.
3. UNDERTAKE A SERIES OF PUBLIC EDUCATION PROGRAMS
a. Sponsor coastal system documentary films for UNC-TV, schools, museums, etc.
b. Organize a series of public workshops and informational forums on the NC coastal system.
c. Implement a set of field trips and workshops for NC LOW coastal and environmental journalists.
4. IMPLEMENT A SCIENCE AND ENVIRONMENTAL TEACHER EDUCATION PROGRAM FOR TIER ONE COUNTY SCHOOL SYSTEMS IN THE ALBEMARLE PENINSULA WITH AN INTENSIVE REGIONAL NATURAL AND CULTURAL RESOURCE PROGRAM
a. Field-oriented science education programs for coastal system school yards and associated landscapes and ecosystems in the NC LOW region.
b. Scientific field and laboratory analysis of natural and modified pocosins, Carolina bays, black-water stream systems, and associated estuaries.
5. SCIENCE OF COASTAL CHANGE
a. Form a working group of NC scientific experts involved with monitoring environmental change within the NC LOW region.
b. Define associated environmental risks that directly impact the economic infrastructure, livelihoods, and/or villages within the IBX and OBX coastal system.
c. Develop a science proposal concerning coastal system change.
6. MAP NC LOW COASTAL SYSTEM NATURAL AND CULTURAL RESOURCE ASSETS
a. Contract North Carolina Coastal Atlas to develop and map the major resource assets of NC LOW.
b. Establish a data base that could lead to a National Heritage Area designation for NC LOW.
7. DEVELOP A MANAGEMENT PLAN FOR LAKE MATTAMUSKEET LODGE
a. Contract Hyde County to establish a stake-holder group and produce an economic analysis of the Lodge status.
b. Contract the development of a plan for reuse and management of the Lake Mattamuskeet Lodge.
8. ESTABLISH A WEBSITE FOR PUBLIC COMMUNICATION AND EDUCATIONAL OUTREACH
9. REPORTS AND INFORMATION ON SPECIFIC PROGRAMS
Friends of NC LOW
Cape Hatteras National Seashore
Cape Lookout National Seashore
Eastern 4-H Environmental Education Center
East Carolina University
First Citizens Bank
Kenan Institute of Engineering, Technology & Science
Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise
Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Refuge
NC Coastal Atlas
NC Coastal Federation
NC Dept of Commerce—Underserved & Limited Resource Communities